Friday 7 March 2014

Tis the season to be jolly...

December 2012

"Tis the season to be jolly...." and with the fast approaching Christmas has come my first foray into the world of craft fairs.  It was far more nerve wracking than anticipated putting ones work out there to be judged and I've discovered I am not so great at self promotion.

My first fair was with some other students from my hat class where we all shared a stall at the Morley Christmas fair.  It was very busy and there was alot of interest in the hats and alot of questions from people asking if I could co-ordinate with outfits to make the hats more individual.  I only took my smaller hats as I thought these were a better idea as they are less expensive for a gift and you do not need to worry about a persons head size.  Success I sold my first three hats! :)





I then had a stall at my works Christmas craft fair which was held in a rehearsal room and it was so lovely to see everyones talents outside of the work environment.  People had made chutneys & jams, delicious fudge, Christmas wreaths, body products, knitted and crocheted.  Also some beautiful photography of local landmarks by Peter Chrome and of course it wouldn't be a Christmas fair without the obligatory glass of mulled wine and a mince pie!

This time I had chosen to display some of my period hats aswell as people had seen me working on them at work and were intrigued.  Everyone was very kind and positive and I sold one hat.  There are alot of performers at work so hopefully they might remember me if they need a co-ordinating hat in the future for any events/concerts.  It was a really valuable experience to get feedback on my hats and I will definitely think about doing more craft fairs in the future :)



No comments:

Post a Comment